This post is also available in:
简体中文 (Chinese (Simplified))
SCSI has expanded its inspection capabilities with the addition of magnetic particle inspection (MPI) – a very sensitive nondestructive test method used to identify defects on the surface of parts made from ferromagnetic materials including:
- Attachment parts
- Con rods
- Ground engagement tools
- Machined or stamped parts
- Transmission cases
SCSI’s wet horizontal MPI machine at our Peoria-Broadway facility, can accommodate parts up to 200 pounds.
For heavier parts, or parts that need to be inspected off-site, SCSI uses a magnetic yoke hand-held device. This portable tool also helps with specific part areas the bigger machine can not reach.
Why use the wet fluorescent method of MPI?
Wet fluorescent MPI is more reliable and more sensitive to very fine defects and more convenient than the visible dry method. Plus:
- The wet suspension reduces the chance of adherence to surface contamination and allows for the use of smaller particles for better flow to small leakage fields
- Test samples are viewed in a dark environment under a black light where the fluorescent colors provide better visibility of indications
- The particles are contained in a liquid carrier for easier and more uniform spray application
How Does it Work?
At SCSI, our professional team will carefully ensure the following steps are performed:
- Your part is first cleaned of oil and other contaminants.
- Specifications, such as ASTM E1444, are used to determine the formula needed for the job.
- Magnetic pulses are applied to the entire part, ensuring the highest resolution.
- UV light is applied while trained MPI technicians look for defects and interpret any results.
- Your part is either accepted or rejected.
- All parts are run through a demagnetizer to remove or reduce the residual magnetism to within the allowable limits of the applicable specification.
- All parts are post-cleaned in a solvent degreaser, dried and coated with light rust preventative oil.
- Following the completion of each job, a Test Report is created for you.